Rich provides strategic intellectual property counseling to technology, engineering, and manufacturing companies across the globe. Rich uses his technical and diverse legal experiences to help clients protect and exploit their assets in ways that fit within their business model. In addition, he is a go-to advisor on packaging and materials engineering issues.
A Chambers USA recommended patent attorney for his "reliable advice" and "customer-focused" approach, Rich leads Arent Fox’s New York IP group. His diverse, international practice focuses on procurement and enforcement issues for products ranging from mechanical, semi-conductors, and textiles to pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, and medical devices. As a former packaging engineer at a leading cosmetic company, Rich has particular proficiency with patent issues involving packaging and materials engineering.
Having lived and worked in Japan, Rich is adept at addressing cross-border problems. He advises a number of Japanese and European companies on protection, licensing, infringement, and distribution issues. In addition, Rich provides counseling on trademark and copyright procurement and enforcement, and manages litigation teams when bet-the-company issues are at stake.
Rich’s work has recently focused on the technology, engineering, and manufacturing industries. That includes:
- Advising Murata Manufacturing Co. Ltd., a Japanese manufacturer of electronic components, on strategic patent matters for new areas of innovation and not-yet commercialized technology.
- Managing the US patent portfolio for ICAP, a major UK-based financial services company, and counseling on patent matters.
- Managing the world-wide patent portfolio for the Home Shopping Network, and counseling on patent matters.
On high-stakes litigation, Rich manages patent litigation teams, and his recent work includes:
- Winning a jury verdict for Swisslog Italia S.P.A. and Translogic Corporation in a patent infringement case before the Delaware District court relating to robotic pharmacy systems. (McKesson Automation, Inc. v. Swisslog Italia S.P.A., et al.)
- Represented Arquest, Inc. in a declaratory judgment action of noninfringement and invalidity for patents on diapers and diaper graphics. (Arquest, Inc. v. Kimberly-Clark Worldwide, Inc.)
- Successfully defended Miraial in a patent infringement case involving containers for shipping and storing silicon wafers that are used in manufacturing semiconductors. A settlement gave Miraial freedom-to-operate in the United States. (Entegris, Inc. v. Miraial Co., Ltd.)
Prior to joining Arent Fox, Rich was a packaging engineer at Estee Lauder Companies and he received a BS in packaging science from Rochester Institute of Technology.
Rich is a member of the American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section; and a former member of the New York State Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section; and the American Intellectual Property Law Association. He is also a former co-chair of the Patent Committee of the New York State Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section.
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York Bar
- US Patent and Trademark Office Bar
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- US Court of Federal Claims
- Supreme Court of the United States
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
Touro College Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law CenterJD1997Rochester Institute of TechnologyBS1992