Arent Fox has a very active pharmaceuticals and biologics practice that offers a full range of regulatory and compliance services to prescription drug and biologics manufacturers spanning issues associated with product development, commercialization, and life cycle management. Our food and drug and health care regulatory attorneys work hand-in-hand to address the pharmaceutical regulatory and marketing issues that frequently cut across those disciplines.
Our food and drug attorneys are experienced in shepherding drugs and biologics through the FDA and, if relevant, the DEA approval processes. This involves advising on, and filing, Investigational New Drug Applications, New Drug Applications, Abbreviated New Drug Applications, 505(b)(2) applications, Animal Drug Applications, Biologic Licensing Applications for biologics, and the new biosimilar 351(k) applications. In addition, we regularly advise clients on the need for filing amendments or supplements to the above applications.
Our product development work includes, among other things, drafting research and license agreements, assisting with clinical trial contracts and reporting issues, advising on FDA pre-market approval inspections, performing domestic and foreign pre-FDA inspection audits, and representing companies before the FDA to expedite product approval.
Some of our recent product development-related activities include:
- Preparing orphan drug applications for a new cancer drug and a drug for Lyme disease
- Negotiating with the FDA over and assisting in the implementation of a clinical trial development program for a new drug (New Drug Application (NDA)) recently approved
- Filing of several 505(b)(2) applications for new dental and anesthetic products
- Preparing for, and attending, FDA Pre-IND and Pre-NDA meetings
- Filing numerous supplements to approved NDAs and ANDAs
- Counseling clients on ways to extend — or limit — patent and exclusivity protection under the Hatch-Waxman Act for both pioneer and generic drug products
- Providing advice on what is necessary to obtain approval of a biosimilar (351(k)) application
- Advising universities on clinical research compliance
- Representing a client in several administrative hearings before a DEA administrative law judge on an application to import two controlled substances
- Assisting a new animal drug manufacturer in seeking approval of several INADs and ANDAs
- Preparing numerous requests for a Proprietary Name Designation with the FDA and coordinating this with obtaining trademark protection for the names
Our clients also turn to us for with a wide range of regulatory concerns that may arise once their pharmaceutical products have been introduced to the market. We provide advice on adverse event reporting, Field Alert Reports, and the handling of recalled drugs, including the development of crisis management programs and plans. We also help clients understand regulatory issues involving the marketing and manufacturing of drug and biologic products. For example, we review and offer advice on proposed advertising, labeling, and promotional materials, including web and social media sites. In addition, Arent Fox has one of the largest advertising and promotions practices in the country and our food and drug and health regulatory attorneys routinely work with attorneys in that group to address issues beyond FDA-regulated concerns that could affect pharmaceutical and device advertising.
Recent regulatory-related activities include:
- Serving as regulatory counsel in support of drug developers’ initial public offerings
- Filing several Requests for Designation to obtain an FDA ruling on whether several products should be regulated as drugs (or biologics) or devices
- Counseling a client on a nationwide recall of a drug product and limiting adverse publicity
- Conducting a worldwide audit of drug manufacturer’s adverse event reporting compliance
- Developing SOPs for post-marketing compliance issues affecting the promotion of pharmaceuticals
- Advising clients on federal and state pedigree and licensing requirements associated with drug distribution